Monday, April 2, 2012

Cherry Blossoms. Gouache and ink.

I recently read - I think this was in Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go by Shaun McNiff- that drawing from memory is important because you can only remember so much, so what you remember and end up drawing is the most important part of what you saw. As someone who draws primarily from life and photos, I reluctantly decided to challenge myself with drawing from memory for a few weeks. Turns out it's actually quite fun.

Not only does drawing from memory tell me a lot about what I find interesting, but it also makes me pay better attention during the day. So thank you Shaun for helping me to be more intentional about being present. St. Ignatius would be proud.

 Endorsement: Trust the Process is a great book. As far as art books go, I find it second only to Art and Fear by David Bayles & Ted Orland- which is AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment